Friday, September 22, 2006

New Shows and Apathy

It’s official, we are in the middle of the beginning of the Fall TV line-up. In the past, I’ve been completely psyched for this week. However, it’s coming off flat this year. Is it because of the lack of good shows…or is it uninspired writing? But then again perhaps it is me.

The shallowness of TV land has trivialized death and mayhem and has become the dull roar behind the chaos of world events. Is TV drugs? You betcha it is. Has the American culture been subdued into unconsciousness by the flicker of the screen. Maybe not completely but it certainly has stunted its growth.

I am not by any means excluded from the illustrious zombie crowd. One of my first inclinations is to plop by expanding rear on the couch and zone out until late in the evening after the end of a day. But I’m waking up to find that the entertainment is not all that entertaining. Yet I find myself clicking away the seconds between channels 5, 8, 19, & 55…over and over until I find myself somehow on Telemundo watching something I barely understand.

Is the richness of America passing with the growing number of armchair quarterbacks? Ask yourself, did we as a nation begin to fail when the political climate became fully corrupt or with the advent of the TV. By clicking on the tube each night are we consenting to what our nation is doing and to the current status of the world?

I once heard someone say…”Why watch the news…there is nothing but negativity on the news and besides no one is in any position to do anything about it” The apathy we’ve sunk into, the ho-hum drive of our days to and from work to pay the bills, do they serve a purpose? Do you serve a purpose other than the comfort and well-being of yourself?

I’m self-centered. I know it. Now I’ve got to find a way to change. What your story?

3 comments:

Eric Rhodes said...

Yes, most of the new TV shows look like they will suck, but it's only 12 days until Battle Star Galactica starts up again. Plus tonight Heroes airs. It looks interesting.

Herb said...

I recently picked up Seasons 1 and 2.0 on BSG and am waiting for Blockbuster online to deliver 2.5. It really does break the monotony of overused story themes. Unfortunately, I've got rabbit ears at home--no cable. So, I'll have to wait for Season 3 on DVD.

That said, I was talking to my wife about this last night. I am finding I would much rather watch "Ask This Old House" than any of the dramas/action shows on TV. Before you know it, I'll be donating money on a regular basis to PBS. This getting old thing is...well...Getting OLD.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Some deep blog thoughts Herb. Personally I have found my purpose and that is to raise fantastic children to better the world. It does not matter what Emma does in life as long as she is a good person she will better the world. I think you already have found and are doing your purpose. Humans are animals and they are supposed to reproduce. You have found a great mother for your children and have wonderful children who will continue to grow and better the world themselves. Going to work is very important. It may seem that it is not important at times. You are supporting your family so you can raise wonderful children to better the world. There is a huge apathy regarding the news and what is happening out there. But, it is not really where you think. It is in morals, values, and child raising. Just think if all the criminals had better family life, educations, morals, values, and love in their life just think how the crime would drop. As morals and family values decline crime goes up. Just look at the changes over the past 75 years in crime and family values. NOW you can do everything right and still have a messed up child. But, just think that if parents raised their kids better life would generally be better.