Friday, July 29, 2005

Do you know what you want?

Did you know that the #1 reason why people do not get what they want is because they don’t know what they want?

Sounds crazy, doesn’t it? But think about it for a moment. Can you sit and tell me right now what you want and tell me you have it or will have it with certainty? The thing of the matter is that we probably spend more time thinking about what we want for dinner than we do about our lives.

Have you actually sat down and focused on what you want your life to look like in the next week, next year, or even next decade? More than likely you haven’t or if you have you were never specific about this “want.” I would assume that you have a vague idea like: “I want to be thin,” “I want to be debt free,” “I want more time,” etc.

While these are good “wants” are they really specific enough? Let’s take “I want to be thin” for example. If you were specific about this “want” when I came up and asked you, “What do you want?” you wouldn’t say “I want to be thin.” No! You would say, “I want to lose 50 pounds. I want to trim my waistline by 3 sizes. And I want to do this within the next 6 months.” You would also know your “why” behind this “want”. “I want to do this so I can feel healthy again, more energized, feel better about myself.” By being specific about your “wants” and your “whys” you have a better chance of not falling off track on your way to get there.

This boils down to change. Before you can change, you need to know that you need to change. From here you develop your “wants” and “whys.” Take some time today or this weekend to sit down and think about what you “want.” Start small and short-term or build big and long-term. Either way be specific. Be realistic. Plan your dinner for life.

Remember, “Knowing” what you want is the first step to getting what you want.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing is half the battle.

Herb said...

You boil it down to the most simple quote.

Woody! said...

Yeah, I'm simple.