Sounds strange…a festival for a bug? Well, it’s definitely better than a festival held in Wisconsin, I think, called Frozen Dead Guy Day…or something to that end. I was listening to the radio the other day…as I’m oft to do…and the radio hosts were interviewing an author of a book about strange occurrences. The topic moved to this Frozen Dead Guy Day. Apparently, the day got started with police shutting down a guy who was operating a cryogenics business out of his home. Yes…cryogenics…Walt Disney’s head in a jar…Wrath of Khan kind of stuff. Well, in his garage, they found two frozen bodies. Well after being identified, one body was interred in the ground…the other…they kept! Well, ten to twenty some odd years later, they have this Frozen Dead Guy Day festival and apparently it’s a pretty darn good festival…how it compares against the local idolization of the orange and brown worm…I couldn’t tell you. But fascinating nonetheless.
Anyhow, the family and the kids had a great time. We sat through the 2 and ½ hour parade…were deafened by the sirens of three companies of fire trucks at the beginning…saw our fill of Channel 8 news desk celebrities…even saw Mr. Dennis Kucinich
One of the big things you do at Festivals is hang out with your neighbors and folks you know….well while were on the second trip through carnie row (had to get a funnel cake!) we ran into the Greenlese’s and 2/3rds of the Peels! Who knew, that there would be such a strong Waterville representation at the Woolybear. Well they all looked great. Even their newest addition to the clan…little Jack.
Goes to show that Walt Disney was right just before he died and someone decided to freeze his head in a jar….”It’s a small world after all!”
5 comments:
I never new that the Woolybear Festival was so big. We marched in it, but I never knew all that other stuff went on other than the parade. Do I have a bad memory or were we never allowed to go through the festival?
Glad to see you back on here. I'll try to make sure I come back here regularly again. Say hi to the fam for me.
Amy, I think we were just too busy getting on and off the bus to go to the actual festival. Could you imagine the havoc we could have caused if we were let loose on the town?
Woody, good to see you back as well. I'll send word to the family. Say hi to your Flying J manager for us.
Later!
Herb, it seems to me that we were set loose on the town. Maybe not for the festival, but I remember a big party after the festival and causing havoc after the dance. It would have been nice to see the festival though. Didn't we march in the parade too? Or did we just do the band festival?
We marched in both the parade and the band festival. But somehow, I don't remember the party.
Post a Comment